The United States District Court
District of Colorado

Hon. Philip A. Brimmer, Chief Judge
Jeffrey P. Colwell Esq., Clerk of Court

Our mission is to serve the public by providing a fair and impartial forum that ensures equal access to justice in accordance with the rule of law, protects rights and liberties of all persons, and resolves cases in a timely and efficient manner.

Frequently Asked Questions

Other FAQs

General Information

Filing a Case

Attorney Information

Miscellaneous Information

What are the court's hours of operation?

The clerk's office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. For your convenience, the Clerk's office is also open during the lunch hour. In order to allow time for processing, especially the filing of a new civil action, please present items for filing before 4:30 p.m.

New Year's Day January 1
Martin L. King Jr.'s Birthday 3rd Monday in January
Presidents Day 3rd Monday in February
Memorial Day Last Monday in May
Juneteenth National Independence Day June 19
Independence Day July 4
Labor Day 1st Monday in September
Columbus Day 2nd Monday in October
Veterans Day November 11
Thanksgiving Day 4th Thursday in November
Christmas Day December 25

*For federal legal holidays that fall on Sunday, the courthouse will be closed the following Monday. When such a holiday falls on a Saturday, the courthouse will be closed the preceding Friday.

What is the court's mailing address?

Clerk's Office
Alfred A. Arraj United States Courthouse
Room A-105
901 19th Street
Denver, Colorado 80294-3589

What are the court's telephone numbers?

The court may be reached at the following telephone numbers.

Clerk's Office: (303) 844-3433
Jury: (800) 359-8699

May I speak to a clerk for a specific judge?

If you have a question on a case or procedure, ask the person answering the telephone. A deputy clerk will answer the question or direct you to the person who can. If necessary, your call will be routed to a supervisor, the clerk, or a deputy clerk who works regularly with a specific judge.

May I speak to Jeffrey P. Colwell, Clerk of Court?

The person answering the telephone will usually be able to assist you. Routine questions will be answered by the deputy clerk or other staff.

How is the court involved in the naturalization process?

The district court holds ceremonies for those individuals requesting a court ceremony for the purpose of requesting a name change as part of their naturalization process. All questions regarding the naturalization process should be directed to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) at 1-800-375-5283, 12484 E Weaver Pl, Centennial, CO 80111. The district court does maintain indices of those persons who were naturalized through a court ceremony. For duplicate naturalization certificates, contact USCIS.

What types of cases are tried in a federal court?

The federal court's jurisdiction is limited to specific cases listed in the Constitution and specifically provided for by Congress. Generally, federal courts only hear cases in which the United States is a party, cases involving violations of the Constitution or federal laws, and cases between citizens of different states.

Some cases are such that only federal courts have jurisdiction over them. In other cases, the parties can choose whether to go to state court or to federal court. In most cases, however, they can only go to state court.

Although the federal courts hear significantly fewer cases that the state courts, the cases they do hear tend more often to be of national importance, because of the federal laws they enforce and the federal rights they protect.

Most cases in federal courts are civil rather than criminal. One type of federal case might involve a claim by a private citizen that a company failed to carry out its duty under the law - for example, that the company refused to hire the person simply because she was a woman or minority. Another kind of federal case might be a lawsuit by a private citizen claiming that they are entitled to receive money under a government program, such as benefits from Social Security. A third type of federal civil lawsuit might require the court to decide whether a corporation is violating federal laws by having a monopoly over a certain kind of business.

There are many more federal civil cases than criminal cases because more crimes concern problems that the Constitution leaves to the states. We all know, for example, that robbery is a crime. The Constitution does not say it is against the law to commit a robbery. By and large, state laws, not federal laws, make robbery a crime. There are only a few federal laws about robbery, such as the law that makes it illegal to rob a bank whose deposits are insured by a federal agency. Examples of other federal crimes are illegal importation of drugs into the country and the use of the U.S. mail to swindle consumers.

Please visit the U.S. Courts website for more information.

Can I file a document by fax?

No, per D.C.COLO.LCivR 5.1 and D.C.COLO.LCrR 49.1, the District Court for the District of Colorado no longer accepts facsimile filings.

How may I obtain a copy of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure or the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure?

Contact the  U.S. Government Bookstore.

How do I learn more about Electronic Case Filing?

Please visit Electronic Case Filing in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado

What is the process for accommodations regarding communications disabilities?

The U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, in conformity with guidelines adopted by the Judicial Conference of the United States in September 1995, has established a process to provide reasonable accommodations to participants in court proceedings who have communications disabilities.1

This process includes the following components:

  1. Access Coordinator The Chief Deputy Clerk for Operations has been designated as the Access Coordinator from whom participants in court proceedings may request auxiliary aids or services. Participants includes parties to a civil action or criminal proceeding, attorneys, and witnesses. Upon discretion of the court, spectators may also make such requests, for example, a family member of a party to an action. The Access Coordinator has knowledge of the auxiliary aids, devices and services available to an individual making a request, and shall guide and assist the individual with the request, giving primary consideration to the individual’s choice of auxiliary aid or service. 2 Counsel are reminded of the court’s Local Rule requiring written notice prior to a hearing or trial of any necessary ADA accommodations.
  2. Jurors Prospective jurors and selected jurors shall be provided appropriate assistance when found qualified to serve as a juror by the trial court under the Jury Selection and Service Act, 28 U.S.C. § 1861.
  3. Sign Language Interpreters and Other Auxiliary Aids and Services The available aids and services include qualified interpreters, assistive listening devices or systems, computer-assisted real-time reporting, or other effective methods of making aurally delivered materials available to individuals with hearing impairments. The court’s internet website, Electronic Case Filing (ECF) and Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) systems are also technically compatible with various assistive technologies and software.

1  [Judicial Conference Guidelines for Services to the Hearing Impaired and Other Persons with Communications Disabilities, Guide to Judiciary Policy, Volume 5, Court Interpreting, Chapter 2, Sec. 255.]

2  [Under Judicial Conference Guidelines, the court may choose another equally effective means of communication if available, or if it can show that the party’s choice would result in a fundamental alteration in the nature of the court proceeding or in undue financial or administrative burden.]

What are the accommodations available for physical access?

See Facilities Standards for the Public Buildings Service 2010 P100, "Design Standards for U.S. Court Facilities," U.S. General Services Administration, available at:

Can sealed documents be filed?

Yes. For Civil Cases: see D.C.COLO.LCivR 7.2 of the Local Rules of Practice. For Criminal Cases: see D.C.COLO.LCrR 47.1 of the Local Rules of Practice. Also see Electronic Case Filing Procedures.

Does the District of Colorado accept pleadings or other documents via faxes?

No, per D.C.COLO.LCivR 5.1 and D.C.COLO.LCrR 49.1, the District Court for the District of Colorado no longer accepts facsimile findings.

What is the filing fee?

The filing fee for a civil action, suit, or proceeding is $402.00. Please refer to the Fee Schedule on the Home Page for a complete list of fees that the District of Colorado charges.

How many copies are necessary when filing?

For those filing conventionally, for Civil and Criminal Cases, an original of every pleading or other document must be filed with the clerk. For all others, see Electronic Case Filing Procedures.

What are the filing guidelines for the United States District Court for the District of Colorado?


  1. As of June 20, 2005, in all Civil Cases, all documents must be filed in ECF. See Electronic Case Filing Procedures. All documents to be conventionally filed are to be filed in the Clerk's Office, Alfred A. Arraj United States Courthouse, 901 19th Street, Denver, CO, 80294-3589, Room A-105.
  2. When conventionally filing, the clerk's office will retain the original in Civil Cases and one copy in Criminal Cases of all documents submitted. We will conform as many other copies as you present. In order to facilitate the file stamping process, copies must be paper clipped to each original document. Documents shall be stapled in the upper left corner. Backings, bindings and covers are discouraged.
  3. Proofs of service should be attached to the back of documents. If submitted separately, the proof of service must show the case number and case caption.
  4. Copies of forms may be obtained at no charge. They may be downloaded, picked up in person from the clerk's office, or requested in writing. In addition, copies of the Local Rules may be obtained free of charge.
  5. A computer terminal allowing public access to case dockets is located in the reception area of the clerk's office. Written instructions are posted by the terminals. Electronic access by the public to dockets is available through PACER.

What do I need when filing a new case and requesting a temporary restraining order?

See Electronic Case Filing Procedures, Sections V.D. and F.1 and D.C.COLO.LCivR 65.1.

Temporary Restraining Order Checklist

  1. Complaint.
  2. Civil Cover Sheet.
  3. Summons: (PDF).
  4. Filing fee. See fee schedule.

You will also need the following:

  1. A motion for a temporary restraining order pursuant to FRCP 65 (supporting authority should be incorporated into the motion).
  2. Any affidavits that may be required or you wish to file.
  3. A proposed Temporary Restraining Order.
  4. You should be prepared to post a TRO Bond if required. Cash Surety
  5. You should file a case as early in the day as possible if there is a need for a hearing that same day.
  6. Unless you are asking for an ex parte TRO you will need to comply with D.C.COLO.LCivR 7.1A. See also D.C.COLO.LCivR 65.1.
  7. If filing a new case with a motion via email, and immediate action is needed, please call 303-844-3433.

How does an attorney get admitted to practice in this district?

For an "Application for Bar Admission," please see the Attorney Information page of this website.

How do I file a complaint against an attorney?

See D.C.COLO.LCivR 83.5D and D.C.COLO.LCrR 57.7D.

Is there a charge for an answer/counterclaim?

No. Please refer to the Fee Schedule on the Home Page for a complete list of fees that the district court charges.

Is there a jury fee?

No. See the Fee Schedule on the Home Page for additional information about district court charges.

Where do I obtain a copy of the local rules?

Copies of the Local Rules of Practice for the District of Colorado may be downloaded from the Local Rules section. They are also available free of charge at the United States District Court for the District of Colorado clerk's office.

How may I obtain a copy of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure or the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure?

Copies of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure or the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure may be obtained from the U.S. Government Bookstore. The address and telephone number follow.

U.S. Government Bookstore

1600 Wynkoop Suite #130

Denver, Colorado 80202

(303) 844-3964

Federal Rules of Civil Procedure

Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure

How may I obtain copies of documents in a case file?

You may obtain copies of documents in a file by coming to the clerk's office or sending a written request. The form entitled Instruction for Requesting Copies shows the exact procedure to be followed when requesting copies. Documents filed after June 20, 2005, are in electronic format and may be downloaded using the PACER system.

After approximately five years, files in closed cases are transferred to the Federal Records Center located at 17101 Huron St, Broomfield, CO 80023. You will need to contact the clerk's office to ascertain if the file is at the courthouse or the Federal Records Center. If the file is at the Federal Records Center, you will need to obtain location numbers from the clerk's office for that specific file. You must then contact the Federal Records Center at (303) 604-4760 at least 24 hours in advance to request that the file be located for your review. The Federal Records Center will need location numbers for each case requested. You may request that the file be sent from the Federal Records Center to the courthouse for review or copying. See fee schedule on our home page for costs associated with case retrieval and copies.

How do I know to which judge a case is assigned?

Each case bears the initial(s) of the assigned judge in the case number (See Below).

  • PAB = Chief Judge Philip A. Brimmer
  • JLK = Senior Judge John L. Kane
  • LTB = Senior Judge Lewis T. Babcock
  • MSK = Senior Judge Marcia S. Krieger
  • REB = Senior Judge Robert E. Blackburn
  • CMA = Senior Judge Christine M. Arguello
  • WJM = Senior Judge William J. Martinez
  • RBJ = Senior Judge R. Brooke Jackson
  • RM = Senior Judge Raymond P. Moore
  • DDD = Judge Daniel D. Domenico
  • RMR = Judge Regina M. Rodriguez
  • CNS = Judge Charlotte N. Sweeney
  • NYW = Judge Nina Y. Wang
  • GPG = Judge Gordon P. Gallagher
  • SKC = Judge S. Kato Crews
  • DME = Circuit Judge David M. Ebel

Judges from other districts:

  • WFD = Chief Judge William F. Downes
  • ABJ = Judge Alan B. Johnson
  • CAB = Judge Clarence A. Brimmer
  • KHV = Chief Judge Kathryn H. Vratil
  • JAP = Judge James A. Parker

If all parties have consented to proceed before a magistrate judge pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 636(c), the case will bear the initials of the assigned magistrate judge.

  • MEH = Magistrate Judge Michael E. Hegarty
  • STV = Magistrate Judge Scott T. Varholak
  • NRN = Magistrate Judge N. Reid Neureiter
  • MDB = Magistrate Judge Maritza Dominguez Braswell
  • SP = Magistrate Judge Susan Prose
  • KAS = Magistrate Judge Kathryn A. Starnella
  • JMC = Magistrate Judge James M. Candelaria
  • RTG = Magistrate Judge Richard T. Gurley

In Civil Cases you should use the following initials indicating which magistrate judge was drawn (i.e. 05-CV-1234-LTB-MEH).

  • MEH = Magistrate Judge Michael E. Hegarty
  • STV = Magistrate Judge Scott T. Varholak
  • NRN = Magistrate Judge N. Reid Neureiter
  • MDB = Magistrate Judge Maritza Dominguez Braswell
  • SP = Magistrate Judge Susan Prose
  • KAS = Magistrate Judge Kathryn A. Starnella
  • JMC = Magistrate Judge James M. Candelaria
  • RTG = Magistrate Judge Richard T. Gurley

How long do I have to respond to a motion?

See D.C.COLO.LCivR 7.1C

What is the post-judgment interest rate under 28 U.S.C. § 1961?

28 U.S.C. § 1961 provides that interest shall be allowed on any money judgment in a civil case recovered in a district court, with certain exceptions. The rate is equal to the weekly average 1-year constant maturity Treasury yield, as published by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for the calendar week preceding. For more information about 28 U.S.C. § 1961, see the U.S. Courts website HERE.

For the current rate published by the Federal Reserve, visit the Federal Reserve System website page for the Selected Interest Rates (Weekly) website HERE.

How do I file a Notice of Appeal in a civil case?

See Electronic Case Filing Procedures. The filing fee and docketing fee (to be paid together) is $455.00. After the filing of the Notice of Appeal all parties will receive detailed instructions regarding the appellate process.

Are federal tax liens filed with the District Court of Colorado?

No. Please contact the appropriate county clerk's office.

How may I obtain a transcript or an audio reproduction of a proceeding?

To order a transcript, contact the stenographic court reporter who is identified in the hearing's minutes. If the hearing was recorded by an audio system, follow the instructions in next paragraph below. If you have access to PACER, you may find the reporter's name at the end of the docket entry for each hearing, trial, or proceeding. The addresses and telephone numbers of the court reporters and electronic court reporter may be obtained by clicking here. If you do not have access to PACER and need to know the court reporter for a particular proceeding, call the clerk's office and ask the deputy clerk to refer to the specific case's docket sheet. The clerk's office telephone number is (303) 844-3433. Transcript rates may be seen here: In the Matter of Court Reporters and Electronic Court Recorder Deputy Clerks

An audio system is used to record most hearings presided by magistrate judges. In some circumstances the district judges may have their proceedings recorded in lieu of using a stenographic court reporter. If the proceeding was recorded by an audio court recording system rather than a court reporter, contact Patterson Transcription Company at (303) 755-4536 or AB Litigation Services at (303) 629-8534 to arrange transcription of the court proceeding. 

Also available are compact discs of recorded proceedings. The cost for reproduction of an audio recording of a court proceeding is found on the most recent Fee Schedule. You may order a CD copy of a recorded proceeding either: 1. in person at the clerk's office inside the Alfred A. Arraj Courthouse; 2. by mailing payment and the Audio Recording Order Form (AO 436) to our office; or 3. by filling out and emailing both the Audio Recording Order Form (AO 436) and "Single Transaction Credit Card Authorization Form" found on our website's Forms page. The email address to send the completed request with credit card payment information is on the credit card authorization form. The CD will be mailed to the Billing Address identified on the form unless a "counter pick up" is indicated on the form. Only completely filled out forms shall be processed.

How do I arrange for a Rule 69 hearing?


Under Rule 69, Colorado Rules of Civil Procedure, judgment debtors will appear before the magistrate judge only upon subpoena.

An attorney seeking the appearance of a judgment debtor must contact the secretary of the appropriate magistrate judge. The secretary will set the place, date and time and you will then enter that information on the subpoena.

It is the duty of the attorney for the judgment creditor to serve the subpoena by an appropriate person other than the United States Marshal, except when the United States of America is the judgment creditor. Service should be made not later than forty-eight (48) hours prior to the hearing and it is further required that the return of service be filed with the magistrate judge's secretary not later than twenty-four (24) hours prior to the hearing in order for a magistrate judge to be available for the Rule 69 proceeding.

As to interrogatories and depositions, it is not necessary in Federal Court to obtain an order of court to permit such procedure. Rule 69 of the FRCP provides in subsection (a): "...the judgment creditor...may obtain discovery from any person, including the judgment debtor, in the manner provided in these rules...". Therefore, interrogatories and depositions are taken in accordance with Rules 26 through 37 of the FRCP.

*The court encourages the use of interrogatories and depositions in lieu of in-court hearings for discovery from judgment debtors. Such proceedings by counsel for judgment creditors will save the costs of mileage and expenses on subpoenas.

For a subpoena contact the Clerk's Office at 303-844-3433

How do I contact the Central Violations Bureau?

The Central Violations Bureau has a website or you may contact them by phone at (303) 844-5475 or toll free at (800) 827-2982.

How do I request funds to be submitted or disbursed from the Court Registry?

Deposit of Funds in Registry

Cash, checks, electronic funds, etc. can be deposited into the court’s registry only by court order. On depositing the funds, the depositing person must identify in writing the order authorizing deposit by the relevant docket entry in the court's Electronic Case Filing system.

Investment of Registry Funds

All funds deposited into the registry of the court are placed in a form of interest bearing account. Unless otherwise ordered by the court, the Court Registry Investment System (CRIS) shall be the authorized investment mechanism.

Registry Fee

Registry fees will be deducted in accordance with 28 U.S.C. § 1914 and regulations promulgated thereunder.

Disbursement of Registry Funds

No funds in the registry are disbursed except by order of court. Any proposed court order to disburse funds must include the payee's full name, complete address and amount to be disbursed to that payee. If more than $10.00 of interest is to be disbursed, the proposed order must be accompanied by a completed IRS Form W-9 (which shall be filed subject to restricted access). For disbursement of funds, the clerk must be provided in writing the order authorizing disbursement by reference to the relevant docket entry in the court's Electronic Case Filing system.